Hummingbird Feeder Watch

February 3rd, 2008

I haven’t had my hummingbird feeder out for a couple of days. So, when I put out my nectar feeder I wanted to see my hummers again! I set up my BirdCam (More on this product in a later blog post, stay tuned!) and when I picked up the pictures I had a beautiful one of a hummingbird in flight.

Here’s the same picture without zooming in.

What a stunning little bird. :) I saw him several times the next day feeding. It’s good to have my hummingbirds back!

I think the hummingbirds in my yard were getting annoyed while I had their feeder down. I caught them peeking their head into my sunflower seed feeder a few times. They sure were brave to fly right up to a feeder with twenty house finches fighting for position. — I can hear them fighting right now. House finches don’t like to share. :)

As stunning as this picture was, it was not the most interesting one my BirdCam took. I was shocked to find this little guy at my hummingbird feeder.

I was shocked! What kind of bird was this, and why was it at my feeder? I had to go to the message boards for help identifying this one. The conclusion…..orange-crowned warbler! It looked a little dull to be a yellow warbler. Apparently there are four types of orange-crowned warblers. It looks like this might be the sordida orange-crowned warbler. Taken from All About Birds — The form sordida is the darkest green and is found only on the Channel Islands and locally along the coast of southern California and northern Baja California.

Here’s a shot of this warbler feeding on nectar.

I saw this bird several more times today at my hummingbird feeder. It’s been fun to watch this little guy. I keep wondering what my hummingbirds think of all this. :)

Be Sociable, Share!

9 Responses to “Hummingbird Feeder Watch”

1. Sandpiper on February 3, 2008 7:48 pm

I have a friend who lives in California and the same thing happened to her, just this week! She sent pictures of an orange crowned warbler eating from her hummingbird feeder. I don’t know anything about them, but another friend, who knows a lot about birds, identified it. How cool! Your pictures are outstanding. You might need to put up more feeders! What a pretty hummingbird. We have the ruby-throated where I live, but I don’t see them very often.

2. Birding Scott on February 4, 2008 1:06 am

Isn’t that interesting! I guess this must be a more common occurrence than I thought.

Thanks for the comment on my pictures. I can’t take too much credit for these pictures as my BirdCam really took them. Nonetheless, I am pleased with them. :)

When I first started feeding hummingbirds, I didn’t see them at all. Eventually, I gave up. Then, I decided to give it one more try, and the hummingbirds quickly discovered my feeder. So, you never know what you can attract to your yard. :)

My parents have a hummingbird that has built a nest outside their window. It is really cool. I’ll have to take some pictures sometime and post them on the blog.

3. Sandpiper on February 4, 2008 8:56 am

That’s outstanding quality for a webcam!

I can relate to the lack of hummingbirds. After living in this house and trying to draw them here for 9 years, I finally saw one last year. It came for a couple of days and then left. I’ll have to be content with the songbirds, I guess, but I won’t give up! I’ll keep putting out the feeders.

4. A Portland Backyard on February 4, 2008 10:26 am

Those are some great photos! We have never seen a warbler at our hummer feeders but that is very cool! Great blog. We added you to our list of blogs we will read on a regular basis. Thanks.

5. NW Nature Nut on February 4, 2008 6:53 pm

Occasionaly I hear of other birds drinking from a hummingbird feeder. Birds are opportunistic!

6. Anonymous on March 14, 2009 12:18 pm

beautiful picture but get more humming birds with flowers and pretty backgrounds!!!!

7. bug on May 16, 2010 5:59 am

Could it possibly be a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet?

8. greg on January 16, 2012 1:54 am

Yesterday, I heard a litle Peep!…Peep!…Peep! coming from my bouganvilla shrup that hovers over my hummer feeder. i watched to see what was making that noise. to my surprise, the little fella (looks EXACTLY like your warbler) landed on the feeder and drank. He came back about every half hour for the remainder of the day and also today. I even witnessed him chase off an Anna’s hummingbird that tried to land on a nearby branch! He’s a cool little devil. He takes about 4-6 sips, then heads back into the bouganvilla where he wipes off his beak several times on various brannches and leaves. This blog verifies the ID on this cute lil guy as your pics look just like my guy. I thought it might be a Bells Vireo, but I am pretty confident now. Funnny, he doesn’t have an orange crown at all!

9. greg on January 16, 2012 1:56 am

By the way, I am also in So Cal right by Disneyland. I also wanted to mention that I saw a Nutall’s woodpecker for the 1st time in the 14 years I have lived here. Pretty cool male with a nice red cap.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS