What’s at my hummingbird feeder?

March 1st, 2008

I’ve continued my search for some great hummingbird photos. This time I avoided flowers, and pointed by BirdCam directly at my hummingbird feeder. I got one great shot!

I was pretty happy with this picture! They are beautiful little birds to watch. But, this wasn’t the most extraordinary picture I took over the last couple of days. While my hummingbirds have been content to fly around my yard looking for flowers, a whole crew of other birds have been taking their place at my nectar feeder. The most common visitors over the last few days have been my House Finches. Yes, House Finches. At first, I thought they were just perching there. But then, I saw one drinking. The photos from my BirdCam confirmed this.

They already dominate all my seed feeders. I guess it was time for them to try something new! :) This next picture is really amazing. When I first saw it, I thought it was a male House Finch because its neck was bright red. But, after studying it and other pictures of the same bird, I realized that this was a female House Finch. The red glow is from this bird’s inside! The light from the sun illuminated this bird all the way through. If you look closely you can see blood vessels in the birds neck.

In addition to a ton of House Finches, my hummingbird feeder also had another visitor.

This warbler has become a frequent visitor at my hummingbird feeder.

Be Sociable, Share!

9 Responses to “What’s at my hummingbird feeder?”

1. Sandpiper on March 2, 2008 4:44 pm

WOW! So many great shots of such a wide variety!! Amazing finch picture!!

2. nina on March 2, 2008 7:36 pm

I have never seen anything else attempt a hummer feeder–how odd!

3. Birding Scott on March 2, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks Sandpiper!

Thanks for visiting again Nina!

It is a little odd that I have been getting some songbirds at my hummingbird feeder. At first, I wondered how they were getting to the nectar. Their beaks didn’t seem narrow enough to fit. But, if you check out my February 3rd blog post, you will see that a warbler is eating nectar from around the plastic yellow flowers on the hummingbird feeder. The birds are not using the hummingbird hole. I can only assume that these plastic flowers are leaking a small amount of nectar and these opportunistic birds decided to dive in! :) I did read somewhere that Orange-crowned Warblers will sometimes drink from hummingbird feeders. But, the House Finch is just strange. The strangest part of this whole situation is that the hummingbirds have not been using their feeder much over the last couple of weeks. I see them flying around my yard everyday, but they are usually more interested in flowers than my feeder. The hummingbirds used to use it regularly, so I have to assume that they are enjoying the flowers that are beginning to bloom now.

4. Sandpiper on March 3, 2008 7:18 am

They probably do enjoy the flowers now, but I wonder if the other birds going to the feeders makes them skittish now? I really don’t know. Birds are so interesting!

5. Birdfreak on March 7, 2008 11:01 am

Nice photos and interesting post! Can’t wait to see hummers again around here!

Good birding to you!

6. Birding Scott on March 8, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks for visiting birdfreak! Hummingbirds are one of my favorite birds to watch as well. They really are stunning little creatures.

7. Travis on March 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Many great shots here. I love your bird pictures. One of these days I will start to try photographing birds. Check out some of my nature pictures if you get a chance. Really enjoyed your blog. I will be back.

8. Birding Scott on March 24, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks Travis! I’ll be sure to check out your pictures!

9. Kathy Caraco on December 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes! We have had a little warbler at our feeder in San Diego as well. I have never seen one before at a hummingbird feeder, so I did a Google search and ended up on your website! Very cool!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS