Birdhouses serve as nest hubs mainly because they are specially meant to provide a secured and safe place for varieties of bird species to build their nest and nurture their young. In the same way, this is the place where birds nestle together in the winter so they can keep each other warm.
Are you eyeing to build a birdhouse at your residence or on your organization’s location? Then, it is essential for you to think of the kind of species you are constructing it for, the appropriate size you prefer and the place where you consider setting it up. Indeed, do not forget to factor in the material it is made of. As you can see, it is not a cakewalk to own a birdhouse because it is not solely about spending a dime.
Nonetheless, the delighting news is that by merely searching for the best bird houses on the web, you will be provided with the resources you especially require when you need to start constructing your birdhouse. By investing in it or by building one, you can help raise the native bird population. Don’t you think it is worth-considering to take action today?
- Best Bird House Reviews of 2019
- 1. Woodlink Wooden Bluebird House
- 2. Toysmith Build A Birdhouse Building Kit
- 3. Melissa & Doug Build-Your-Own Wooden Birdhouse
- 4. CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House
- 5. Perky-Pet Wren Home Cedar Birdhouse
- 6. 16 Family Purple Martin Barn
- 7. Butterfly and Flowers Welcome Decorative Birdhouse
- 8. Heath Outdoor Products Easy Clean Deluxe
- 9. Nature’s Way Bird Products Cedar Wren House
- 10. Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH3 Bird House
- What is a Bird House/ How does it work?
- Types of Bird Houses
- Benefits of Birdhouses
- Factors to Consider when Buying a Birdhouse
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Bird House Reviews of 2019
If you are looking for a quality birdhouse, this model is the right pick for you. It is made of inland red, kiln dried and reforested cedar. Its design is particularly patterned to lure bluebirds. Its tiny hole is perfect for eastern bluebirds and it also comes with an air ventilation gap located at the top and you can find the drain hole at the bird house’s base.
Moreover, you won’t have problems when tidying it up since it comes with an easy-to-open front.
You will surely love its insect repelling as well as weather resistant features too. It is rust-proof so that means it could resist any changes in temperature and it is easy to assemble. Its front section slides down for the purpose of easily tracking the progress of residing birds without distracting them.
2. Toysmith Build A Birdhouse Building Kit
This product is highly recognized as one of the best birdhouses that you can purchase for your little ones. It is actually a sure fun way to let kids spend their time building and painting a birdhouse kit. Obviously, children love it when you introduce to them something that allows them to explore the wonders of nature first-hand.
This kit comes with all the components needed to construct a wooden birdhouse; it also includes 4 colorful paints that are precisely for the purpose of decorating the bird house’s exterior part. This is recommended for kids age 5 and up. Kids won’t have a hard time putting it together since there is an enclosed detailed instruction for them to follow.
Best of all, with this kit, your little ones don’t need to stay outdoor and play dangerous games or activities because assembling this birdhouse is a sure fun way for them to spend their time in a worthwhile type of activity that kills boredom and something that help them unleash their resourcefulness and craftsmanship skills.
3. Melissa & Doug Build-Your-Own Wooden Birdhouse
Are you presently in search of high-end birdhouses for children? This item is an ideal choice for you. It is definitely effortless to set up so kids will surely have a very terrific experience while building it. The package includes screws, a paintbrush, wooden panels and 4 pots of paint. This can serve as a very perfect gift for children since it comes with the capability to promote their motor skills as well as creativity.
This birdhouse kit is affordable and you will certainly like its durable wooden construction. Evidently, it is a great choice because of its superb value. But, adult supervision is strictly required when kids start to do the building, decorating and painting activity.
Kids absolutely love being busy doing something that allows them unleash their hidden skills.
4. CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House
The most popular birdhouses are undeniably the products that wise consumers pick on the market. Just like this model, it is made of metal and wood and it is accented with delightful cutouts of garden adornments too. It is designed with a sliding door on its back section which is especially intended for easy cleaning purposes.
Many consumers prefer this brand because it surely adds cheer and thrill to any garden embellishment. More than that, it is deemed as a perfect present for any nature lover or bird enthusiasts. The product is well-constructed, comes with just the right size and it is beautifully painted.
5. Perky-Pet Wren Home Cedar Birdhouse
Bird enthusiasts and nature lovers sure prefer great birdhouses. This product will certainly work ideally for your needs. If you wish to use it or place it outside, you need to utilize acrylic paint and carefully sealed it so it won’t get damaged easily even under extreme weather conditions.
If you’re going to look at it closely, it is slightly hard to tell whether it is predator proof since you could lift up its roof without hassle. Also, it comes with air ventilation under its roof; nevertheless, you can’t say anything negative in terms of its design. It will surely add delight and a relaxing ambiance in your garden and indoor setting.
6. 16 Family Purple Martin Barn
If you are into garden birdhouses, this option is appropriate for you! It is capable of housing by up to a total of 16 purple martin families. In addition, it comes with moderately sloped floors that are specially made for easy draining purposes. You can put it together in no time and you won’t be needing tools to set it up. It is made of UV grade polypropylene copolymer plastic.
There are a number of things to love about this birdhouse. It can provide a safe space and hub as well as the desired privacy for inhabiting purple martins. It is sturdy yet lightweight. It is shielded from rain through overhangs. Its white front panels are particularly made to enhance entrance visibility. It is easy to clean and maintain.
7. Butterfly and Flowers Welcome Decorative Birdhouse
Undoubtedly, having a bluebird, cardinal, finch, and dove bird house plans can be of great help when trying to figure out which models can be the most functional for you. This birdhouse is a certified admirable gift for any nature or bird fanatic. As you can see, it can also be a cool adornment to your patio or deck. It is relaxing to see places that have birdhouses as these aid accent any garden or residential area.
Furthermore, this item is distinctively built and comes with a jute cord that is securely fastened for hanging. In like manner, it is designed with a clean-out plug located on its bottom section and this is easy to remove. It is made of polyresin and is uniquely hand-painted.
8. Heath Outdoor Products Easy Clean Deluxe
Birdhouse colors that attract birds are vital factors to consider too when purchasing a birdhouse for your garden. However, the truth is, investing in a high-quality model can be daunting as well. Luckily, you can always compare the pros and cons of the products that you’re most likely to buy.
This birdhouse is easy to clean, lightweight and carefully designed with an off-white plastic gourd that is specially designed to reflect heat and keep the birds comfortable and cool. It is interesting to note that its starling resistant entrance holes are precisely meant to aid impede starling from nesting. You won’t have a struggle when mounting it since the hardware and instructions are already included in the package.
This product is less expensive and most importantly martins will definitely settle in it for a long time. As you can see, this is going to be a real value for your money.
9. Nature’s Way Bird Products Cedar Wren House
If you are in search of a reasonably-priced and easy to clean birdhouse that is designed with latch for opening it up, constructed with superior quality materials and made with natural cedar, then this product seems to possess all the requirements you are looking for!
Without any doubt, decorative birdhouses are cute and adorable options to select from. Just like this product, aside from its out-of-the-ordinary style and design, it is built with rot and insect-resistant premium cedar, and clean-out door that provide instant access for cleaning and air ventilation that enables adequate air ventilation through the floor and wall openings to promote bird health.
And, similar to round birdhouses, this product’s size is large enough to be enjoyed by bigger birds and this is good at keeping sparrows out. It can effectively lure chickadees and wrens and once bought, a vinyl coated steel hanging cable is already included.
10. Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH3 Bird House
This model is constructed from rot and insect-proof high quality cedar that comes with a water-based defensive stain. It is designed with air vents that ensure supreme air ventilation by means of floor and wall openings. In addition to this, the hardware that was utilized in construction of this birdhouse is rust-free making it last for longer periods of time.
If you are searching for a version that is designed with clean-out doors that could guarantee instant access for cleaning, then this is the ideal option for you. It also comes with a predator guard that is extended to the entrance hole to safeguard young and tiny feathered creatures against predators.
What is a Bird House/ How does it work?
To boot, birdhouses cater to a diverse clientele as compared to backyard feeders. These are good at providing shelter to cavity-settling species, which for the huge part consume berries as well as insects instead of seeds. And, since they draw distinct types of birds, houses add to garden or yard diversity.
It is worth mentioning that birdhouses serve very valuable roles. There is a need to provide birdhouses for a number of reasons. In today’s world, we could observe that habitat loss has driven plenty of species away from their previous settling locations. Basically, an appropriate shelter could bring birds back home.
It is crucial to have a deeper grasp of what habitat loss is for this is deemed as the greatest peril to our bird species. Fortunately, everyone can aid in outweighing these dangers through constructing habitats in your community or backyard- it is also of big help if the whole family or community will get involved in this useful cause.
On the other hand, nesting boxes also make a wonderful project for children. The houses are a piece of cake to construct, set up and maintain. It is substantial to allow children to get involved with meaningful projects even at an early age so they will be well aware of what is happening around them. In so doing, they will grow up to be someone who truly cares for the environment and take part in programs that aim to save the earth we live in.
Bird houses are very helpful in terms of providing birds with a safe shelter to look after their young. Besides, when birds migrate, birdhouses also serve to provide birds with a secured hub where birds can rest. In general, birdhouses aid to ensure that the bird population is preserved since birds consume seeds and spread those seeds in various regions, which in turn supports the growth of plants. Further, birds also participate in eating vexatious insects.
Simple handmade birdhouses and feeders that come with suitable dimensions will help provide the necessary safety from predators, a safe shelter for breeding as well as in providing the warmth especially required during the coldest season of the year.
Without question, when birds have a protected shelter to settle in, their numbers remain strong and their species will continuously grow even when turmoil takes place.
Types of Bird Houses
Post Mounted or Freestanding Bird House
Even if you do not have a fence or many trees in your yard, this type of birdhouse is an exceptional way to include in your yard. You only need to mount it on your new birdhouse and you can start nurturing birds and have a beautiful embellishment in your yard.
These are commonly very high in the air when mounted; there is an available system that could let you lower them down the pole in order to carefully check for the eggs and when you’re trying to empty out worn-out nests if required. Indeed, if you don’t purchase a birdhouse that comes with this specification, then it will be required for you to utilize a ladder so you could easily empty out the nest whenever necessary.
Hanging Bird Houses
These are very well-known types since you can simply hang them everywhere such as from the roof overhang on the porch or from trees. This type of birdhouse can attract birds to visit your home. The materials to be used when constructing the hanging type should be sturdy as natural fibers could rot over a long period of time which could put your birds’ life in jeopardy.
It is advisable to inspect the condition of the hanging material every year prior birds settle in your birdhouse. Some bird feeders replace any natural fiber with a piece of metal since this does not get damaged instantly at the period of nesting so you will be worry-free.
Wall Mounted Bird Houses
A wall mounted version is the ideal option for you if you have a fence in your yard or if you have a lot of trees in your garden where you can securely mount your birdhouse. These typically have a small hook or tiny hole in the back wherein you can put a nail that you have nailed into the fence or tree.
Aside from this, this version is quite easy to lift down which means that you could instantly check inside the nest or empty it out without struggle during the fall season, also they could be positioned at differing heights in your yard for a more impressive and visually-appealing look.
By carefully understanding what these types of birdhouses for different birds are, it won’t be complicated for you to decide which one will perfectly complement your yard and which one would work best for your needs and preferences.
Benefits of Birdhouses
You probably own a birdhouse that is already set up in your backyard. You may even relax sipping a cup of tea while you sit quietly and take pleasure in watching your backyard buddies. Are you aware of how valuable the birdhouse was to the birds and to the environment?
It is imperative to explore the unspoken perks of birdhouses and some of these consist of the following:
- Providing a simple nesting shelter gives your feathered friends a secured spot to dwell in and to keep their population growing. You’ve delivered them from predators and provided them the warmth they seriously require during winter. Most importantly, you have provided them a shelter where they could nurture their offspring.
- In return, birds will serve as your pest control, plenty of bird species are insectivores so they could warmly take on extensive infestations. Without birds’ eating habits, this could bring about imbalances that can be destructive, even if only in your own backyard.
- The same goes for weed control. Birds such as Jays, Sparrows, Finches as well as Blackbirds are seed-eaters. These are quite agile in terms of eating a limitless number of loathsome weed seedlings. Birds handle the landscape with natural behaviors between undesirable weeds and insects.
- Rely on birds to provide you with a very entertaining show if you are considering selling your dwelling place. Apart from very pleasant smells such as cinnamon or cookies, most potential investors appreciate in watching birds lithely flapping around a backyard. A beautiful birdhouse provides peace and comfort that most people are dying to experience in their lives.
- As we know, birds are quite adept at pollination. They are the ones that carry on the native landscape providing flower beds and gardens that additional improvement. Consider all the favors from birds that love fruit trees and it is through them why people could relish in an abundant harvest year after year.
- Over and above, through offering a birdhouse, you have provided ideal shelter for incubation. This significantly aids in preserving the species that may otherwise unable to sustain their balance in nature.
It is substantial to ponder on the perks of adding handmade bird feeders and a heated birdbath particularly for non-migrating birds that consumer all their energy in winter months to search for water to drink and food to eat.
- Birdhouses are first-rate when it comes to gathering facts, observation and learning process. This helps science to obtain a more solid grasp of how wildlife and people could auspiciously live together. It is no doubt that birds provide us harmony whatever they do.
Young kids have a stunning curiosity towards learning, so birds also provide an out-of-the-ordinary platform to guide younger generations about the preservation and protection of the environment we presently live in and wildlife as well.
Factors to Consider when Buying a Birdhouse
Spending your hard-earned money is always a painful thing to do that is why prior to making a final decision when buying a birdhouse; keep in mind that you need to check the following factors first:
- The variety. Buying a birdhouse for the first time can be challenging. There is a wide selection in the market so if you are not well-informed, making a decision can be tough. First, you need to review the various types and from there, decide which one suits your needs and preferences.
- Learn more about various bird species. Ask yourself what kind of birds you prefer to construct a shelter for. Have a deeper knowledge of birds’ preferences as well as behavior. You may research on the nesting habits of the birds that you wish to lure.
- Entrance hole. Take note that the hole where birds get in and get out the birdhouse should be suitably sized. For tiny birds, the hole should be roughly 1 ½ inch in width or less. Meanwhile, for larger birds, the entrance hole should be approximately 2 ½ inches.
- Birdhouse’s size. Take into consideration that a birdhouse should be capable of providing comfort. Nonetheless, it shouldn’t be so large that the preying birds could grab away the nestlings. If the birdhouse is larger than what a bird species would like, it won’t provide a cozy feel.
- Construction materials. Birds prefer to settle in a warm and cozy shelter. They like settling in a natural hub while nesting. Be that as it may, due to the perils of preying creatures, they look for hubs that are secured and safe.
Generally, a wooden birdhouse is capable of luring more birds. You may add twigs or leaves to make the nesting hub more appealing and attractive to birds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are good birdhouse brands?
A few of the brands that are considered good options include the following:
- Wood link. This brand is made from red cedar, sturdy, easy to clean and can vent at the top for circulation purposes. This is excellent at luring birds. It is made from materials that can guarantee durability for more forthcoming nesting seasons. This must be hung properly in a suitable spot.
- Cartman. This looks adorable, made from both metal and wood, comes with a panel in the back for cleaning and is highly recommended for tiny birds. It is visually appealing to humans and at the same time, it’s quite functional for birds. It will look lovely when hung in either your back or front yard.
- Backyard Bird Lover Blue BirdHouse. This is easy to mount, comes with great design, can last for many years and is lightweight. Chickadees and wrens like this brand and it’s the most proven style that your money can invest in.
What is the best natural birdhouse on the market?
The best natural birdhouses on the market are those that come with thick walls which are made of untreated wood for insulation purposes. They must be designed with holes that are used for drainage and air ventilation. In order to keep the rain out, the natural birdhouse should come with a sloped and extended roof.
It should also come with a baffle that is specially intended to keep out snakes, raccoons, house cats and other types of predators that grab away eggs and nestlings.
What birds want in a birdhouse & how to attach them?
Birdhouses of all sizes are being constructed without perches underneath the entrance hole. While birds are capable of entering a birdhouse without the aid of a perch, still birds prefer to nest in a birdhouse that has a perch on it.
For additional designs, you may use twigs or leaves that are designed in bright colors. Note that specific bird species are more lured to certain shades. Attaching them is quite easy; you will only need glue or tiny screws to attach them anywhere in the birdhouse that you think is more suitable.
What materials are best for building birdhouses?
Constructing a durable, appealing and weather-resistant birdhouse is quite uncomplicated to build. Wood is specifically an outstanding material since it breathes; it is sturdy and comes with exceptional insulating qualities. The perfect options are naturally decay-proof wood like redwood, cedar or a premium quality grade of exterior plywood.
Please be guided that it should be at least ¾ inch-thick since lower than this may result in heat accumulation which is very dangerous to nestlings.
It is not that important whether the wood is finished, rough-cut or slab so long as the inside part of it hasn’t been treated with preservatives or stains. Chemical fumes are also known to be quite hazardous to nestlings.
How to make birdhouses from recycled materials?
Recycling anything for birdhouses works wonders when it comes to de-cluttering home storage places, eliminating junk stuff from your garage and it is certainly a fun-filled approach to construct lovely homes for birds which decorate yard designs in an impressive and cost-effective style.
The added favors of making recycled crafts for home decorating is the period you spend crafting something unique, engrossing and useful. Constructing birdhouses with the aid of recycling metal and utilizing salvaged wood is absolutely a very delightful and productive activity.
Some of the materials that you can recycle when building a birdhouse include plastic and packaging containers, old yogurt containers, and salvaged wood pieces. All these are great materials to construct a stylish and distinctively-looking birdhouse.
For sure, broad imagination, as well as colorful paints, can be of big help when constructing a functional and attractive birdhouse that various bird species will fall in love with. Just make sure that the entrance hole is appropriately sized with proper ventilation and an easy way for cleaning and draining purposes.
It should also be safe from predators that could harm young birds. Follow the assembly instructions and unleash your resourcefulness and creativity and you’ll be done in no time!
Can you paint birdhouses?
Birds are not really picky about colors; nonetheless, avoid dark or black colors as these absorb heat. Also, opt for non-toxic varnishes or stains when painting and decorating birdhouses.
Alternatively, acrylic craft paint is a cheaper alternative to wood stains and latex paints. It is better to stick to natural colors when painting the outside section of your birdhouse.
Birds are very elated to nest in painted bird boxes, but keep in mind that very bright colored birdhouses may also lure predators and there are some types of paints that are potentially harmful to various bird species. It is ideal to paint a bird box at the final period of the summer season as this will enable the paint to completely cure prior to the breeding period.
How and where to hang a birdhouse?
There are things to consider where and how to hang a birdhouse and these comprise of the following:
- Locate the birdhouse away from birdbaths and bird feeders.
- Make sure to hang the birdhouse on a sleek wooden siding to provide convenience.
- Ensure that the birdhouse is hung between 5 by up to 12 feet above the ground. Note that if it is mounted too low, it might be susceptible to predators’ attack anytime and if it is too high, a myriad of bird species won’t prefer to nestle in it.
- Having your birdhouse facing east is the most excellent approach for various bird species since this will keep it warm in almost all climates.
When and how to clean birdhouses?
It is recommendable for birdhouses to be thoroughly cleaned after the nesting period has fully fledged and when the birds don’t return to the nest. The following are the procedures when cleaning a birdhouse:
- Disassemble or open the birdhouse if needed to ensure thorough and proper cleaning.
- Get rid of all the old nesting materials and carefully scrape out any clumped matters or feces.
- Gently scrub it exhaustively using a non-toxic bleach solution. Ensure that all the debris, as well as contamination, is completely cleaned.
- Properly rinse it using clean water to eliminate all chemicals or bleach traces.
- Dry the birdhouse for several hours.
- Check if there are prominent sprinters, protruding screws or nails and loose hinges. Repair any issues to keep the birdhouse risk-free to use.
- Inspect if all drainage and ventilation holes are unhampered.
- Reassemble the birdhouse safely and ensure that all hinges, screws, and joints are tightly fastened.
An Important Reminder: See to it that you only use natural or non-toxic cleaning solution when cleaning your birdhouse. As you know, toxic chemicals can endanger the lives of your feathered friends particularly their young. By happy chance, you can still keep the house clean and a safe place for birds to nestle in without the aid of chemical-based cleaning solutions.
Do birds use birdhouses in winter?
A few songbird species or the ones that shelter in birdhouses or tree cavities in spring also utilize roost boxes for them to feel and stay warm in the coldest season. Some of these birds include screech owls, bluebirds, titmice, some woodpeckers and chickadees.