Are you aware that various bird species can consume by up to ten thousand calories per day? Then, this means that backyard bird feeders, as well as the best bird seeds, are an advantageous supplement for wild birds’ relentless feeding requirements.
In addition to this, many of us are insightful of the fact that birds commonly spend most of their time searching madly for food to satisfy their needs and also the needs of their mini nestlings. Hence, this clearly implies that getting the right kind of food to feed them is quite crucial to take in mind.
More than that, bird feeders are efficient means and easy food sources for various bird species to utilize their finite foraging energy. That said, it is just right for bird enthusiasts to carefully select premium quality bird seeds and other bird food options that shall lure more birds and keep them returning to their place for more delectable meals.
In order for you to lure the greatest variety of birds, it is critical to feed the birds the kind of seeds they love to consume. Continue reading the rest of the article and see for yourself the many factors and product reviews that you need to consider when you are feeding varieties of birds to keep them coming back for more!
- Best Bird Seed Reviews
- 1. Wagner’s 62059 Greatest Variety Blend
- 2. Lyric 2647413 Fruit & Nut High Energy Wild Bird Mix
- 3. Kaytee Waste Free Bird Seed Blend
- 4. Wagner’s 76027 Black Oil Sunflower
- 5. Shafer Seed Company Safflower Seed
- 6. Wagner’s 62050 Nyjer Seed Bird Foods
- 7. Shafer Seed 84075 White Proso Millet Wild Bird Food
- 8. Kaytee Spray Millet For Birds
- 9. Wagner’s 18542 Cracked Corn
- 10. Lyric 2647463 Peanut Pieces
- 11. Morning Song 11974 Dove and Ground Feeding Wild Bird Food
- 12. Kaytee 100505655 Mealworms
- 13. Wildlife Sciences High Energy Suet
- 14. Wagner’s 42032 Cardinal Blend Bucket
- 15. Perky-Pet 238 Hummingbird Nectar
- 16. Kaytee Products Inc. 10Lb Squirrel & Critter Blend Food
- What is a Bird Seed/ Bird Food
- Types of Bird Seeds
- Benefits of Bird Seeds
- Best Bird Seed Brands
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Bird Seed
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Bird Seed Reviews
1. Wagner’s 62059 Greatest Variety Blend
If you would like to attract diverse kinds of birds like Finches, Cardinals, Sparrows, Jays, Titmice, Chickadees and Woodpeckers, then this bird seed brand is the perfect pick for you!
This product is known for being the best mix or blends bird food that could seduce plenty of diverse and colorful songbirds. For a fact, it is considered the most superior quality grains utilized in blending. Birds will certainly love this gourmet blend that comes with a total of 11 varieties of ingredients where 40% of it contains sunflower. You can feed the birds with the aid of platform feeders, hopper or a tube.
Surprisingly, this brand has just the precise amount of different kinds of seeds that could help your bird feeder seduce more local birds for a delightful feast.
2. Lyric 2647413 Fruit & Nut High Energy Wild Bird Mix
If you are in search of the best wild bird seed that comes with a gourmet blend of ingredients, then this option is ideal for your search! It comes with a total of 13 premium organic ingredients that are sure to entice robins, titmice, orioles, grosbeaks, chickadees, towhees, buntings, Cedar Waxwings, Cardinals, Blue Jays, and nuthatches.
This worth every single penny you pay for it because there are no fillers for less waste. Many bird enthusiasts prefer this brand since it is highly recognized for being a high-energy wild bird mix that contains a gourmet blend of finely select seeds, fruits, as well as shell-free nuts.
What makes this brand a good choice for your feathered friends is that it is formulated with various natural ingredients like dried fruits, raisins, shell-free seeds and nuts, cranberries and cherries. As you can see, a mix of seeds, fruits, and nuts will definitely invite more birds to feed in the bird feeders and stay long in your garden or backyard.
Since many of the nuts contained in this package are quite large, it is necessary to do some chopping prior to loading the feeder especially if you have frequent tiny birds that land and eat in the bird feeders that you prepare. This is to ensure that small birds are protected when consuming nuts and seeds.
3. Kaytee Waste Free Bird Seed Blend
Would you like to feed your feathered buddies with high-quality food that is 100% consumable? Then, consider this bird food brand in your bird’s food list! This is a concentrated type of food that can last for longer periods which means there is no need for you to fill the bird feeders quite often. In like manner, this birdseed is ideal for outdoor wild birds.
Truth is, there will be a slight waste with this brand; however, not as much with the regular bird seeds. You will love the fact that it is capable of bringing an outstanding variety of birds to the feeder.
This blend is ideal for feeders located over concrete or regions that are hard to reach for the purpose of cleaning up the mess commonly left behind by the birds when they shell the seeds. It is a bit costly; nevertheless, closely observing the birds at the feeders and listening to their chirps and hums are all worth it in the end.
4. Wagner’s 76027 Black Oil Sunflower
Are you eyeing to entice a broad range of songbirds such as Woodpeckers, Finches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, and Cardinals? Then, you need not search elsewhere because the perfect bird food option for you is Wagner’s Black Oil Sunflower Seed.
This product contains 100% oil sunflower seed that comes with premium quality energy content. When feeding your backyard visitors, it is a must to use hopper, tubular or tray feeders to ensure that they have a delightful gourmet seed to share with each other.
Bird feeders and enthusiasts prefer this product because it is extra clean. It comes with a thin-shelled sunflower so birds won’t have a hard time consuming them. No wonder why it is known for being one of the best bird seeds for Cardinals!
It is delighting to watch various types of birds as they enjoy eating and cleaning the feeder within a day or two. Once you started filling the feeders with sunflower seeds, you will love the sight of a non-stop visit from your feathered buddies!
5. Shafer Seed Company Safflower Seed
If you are looking to attract more nuthatches, cardinals, sparrows, tufted titmice, chickadees as well as flickers, then this safflower seed brand is the right match for your requirement. Since this seed does not come with shells, it does not cause any mess in your garden, patio or backyard.
Interestingly, doves prefer to get the seeds that are dropped on the ground. A lot of large birds and squirrels are not lured by this type of food.
Safflower bird seeds are good for feeding wild birds. It is essential to note that the bitterness of these types of seeds make wild birds appealing to squirrels and fortunately most birds do not mind the acridity of these seeds.
What is more, the fact that this product is capable of seducing more varsities of birds to visit and eat in your place is something to love especially for bird enthusiasts out there. For sure, you’ll love the relaxing view outside your window.
This item is useful for making your own bird food. If you will compute carefully, it is less expensive than purchasing Nyjer, and sunflower pieces, take note this type of seed will surely be enjoyed by your backyard visitors.
6. Wagner’s 62050 Nyjer Seed Bird Foods
If you are into Finches particularly the Goldfinch, then this birdseed brand will work great for you. This product contains a total of 150,000 seeds per pound which is ample enough to satisfy your feathered friends. It is packaged with a Velcro press lock that makes it even more convenient to use when feeding your favorite birds.
In like manner, it comes with extra tidy seed that could provide premium, energy content for your most preferred songbirds. This product contains 100% Nyjer seed that comes with high protein and fat content. It is perfect for use in Finch feeders that have small perches and tiny holes.
This brand is of superior quality and it is the best option if you wish Goldfinches to have a good meal in your garden or backyard.
7. Shafer Seed 84075 White Proso Millet Wild Bird Food
In general, one of the most typical and most preferred seeds available on the market nowadays is millet bird seed. As a matter of fact, it is deemed as a universal seed that could be consumed by any breed of seed-eating rodents and birds.
Since it is rich in nutrients and it’s slightly fatty, this product is the most preferred amongst the mentioned creatures- to put simply, it tastes quite delectable for them so they keep craving for it.
Moreover, it is good at diversifying seed offerings. If you wish plenty of birds to come and enjoy the meal, you may consider combining millet seeds with black oil sunflower seeds and then ensure to fill the feeder, then after just a few minutes, you will be delighted seeing various birds coming!
8. Kaytee Spray Millet For Birds
These golden millets will certainly become your feathered friends’ addiction. They could serve as a very luring treat just like giving them sweets to munch on. Once you put some on the feeders, you will have fun watching various birds fight to get them. The millets come in lovely colors and are fresh so birds can’t help but have a bite of them.
What is more, they are quite easy to store and for sure your parakeets will go nuts for this product. Take into consideration that this stuff is not intended to be part of your most favorite birds’ staple diet; nevertheless, it works like a charm for a little treat every other day.
Once you got these red millets, you will see for yourself that the sprays are great and thick with a number of millet branches on them, unlike weak and thin branches that you could obtain with other brands.
9. Wagner’s 18542 Cracked Corn
This shelled and cracked corn product will definitely be enjoyed by a wide range of ground feeding birds like Grouse, Quail, Blue Jays, Ducks, Cardinals, Pheasants, Doves and Juncos of course. Other creatures who may also find this stuff quite attractive include chipmunks, rabbits and other cheerful wildlife.
It is possible to let your feathered buddies enjoy the cracked corn itself or if you wish you may consider mixing it with other kinds of seeds to make it more delectable. Many bird enthusiasts and feeders feed cracked corn on an isolated approach from their usual bird feeding location so that frisky squirrels and other tiny creatures will have their own area to eat- the purpose here is to divert them from feeding at your bird feeders.
All you need to do is to sprinkle a few cracked corns on the ground where it will be a lot easier for animals and birds to access. This product will help you delight in feeding your pet birds and experience that close to nature feeling that you’re craving for!
10. Lyric 2647463 Peanut Pieces
If you think that various birds in your backyard are already bored and weary of the kind of foods that you commonly feed them, then perhaps it is high time to consider some changes in their diet. This protein-packed delicacy for your pet birds will assuredly make them go nuts.
As you know, peanut pieces are regarded as very unique treats that could entice a myriad of bird species. Purchasing pieces versus whole nuts can aid you set aside some pennies and time mainly because you are not paying for the shells that your feathered friends won’t consume and there’s no mess to deal with.
Furthermore, the different size pieces also imply a broader variety of birds will be lured to the feeder since there are a lot more morsels to get and go. It is definitely very convenient to use and is formulated with premium quality ingredients.
11. Morning Song 11974 Dove and Ground Feeding Wild Bird Food
Are you presently looking to lure ground-feeding birds such as juncos, sparrows, quail, and doves? This Morning Song brand is the best option if you wish these types of bird species to stay in your garden or yard for feeding. You may sprinkle directly on the ground or utilize this bird food in table feeders in little amounts that could be consumed within a day.
This product contains ingredients that your bird buddies will love such as white millet, red milo, and black oil sunflower seeds. As you can see, the ingredients it contains are all natural and the type of foods that birds truly like!
If you do not have a spacious living area, this bird food is a good option too as you can freely feed your pet birds in a small balcony. Without doubt, it is comforting to watch mourning doves and pigeons relish in a savory meal every morning or any time of the day. Seeing them loving the food you feed them is absolutely a satisfying feeling whenever you feel tired and bored.
12. Kaytee 100505655 Mealworms
This mealworm brand is super rich in protein and is famous for being a high energy treat for different bird species. Also, it is a great treat for cardinals, Bluebirds, woodpeckers, Wrens, chickadees, and robins. You can directly feed your pet birds with it or if you wish to have a custom food for them, this product can be mixed with other kinds of seeds that birds will delight in.
What can birds eat besides birdseed? Well, the obvious answer to this question is none other than mealworms. They are a vital source of food for young birds. In reality, this product comes in premium quality since it is oven-dried to keep its freshness and nutrients intact.
Basically, Kaytee mealworms are an outstanding and super-rich protein source for a considerable number of wild birds. These are nutritious food addition that you can prepare for your most cherished feathered buddies.
13. Wildlife Sciences High Energy Suet
This bird food is good at enticing perching and tree-clinging birds like Juncos, Chickadees, Sparrows, Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Siskins, Woodpeckers, Titmice and Cardinals. It is known for containing high energy suet cakes and its ingredients contain cracked corn, rendered beef suet, processed grain products, and black oil sunflower that various types of birds will find so succulent.
While this item is particularly formulated for woodpeckers, various types of birds love it. If you will observe closely, solely a few birds don’t consume it like a few cardinals that do not even try and doves that cannot get at it. It is interesting to watch every other type of bird seems to prefer it, some too much, such as blackbirds and jays.
In addition, the packaging is very convenient as it is a piece of cake to open and product suits precisely into the wire cage where it is suspended in.
14. Wagner’s 42032 Cardinal Blend Bucket
This cardinal blend is specially formulated to entice various songbirds particularly the Cardinals. It is a tempting feast that contains striped sunflower seeds, black oil sunflower as well as safflower. Almost all bird species love this bird food because it comes with a combination of high oil content seeds that are great for providing the needed energy to keep your pet birds healthy and strong.
It is nice to know that since this item contains safflower seeds, squirrels won’t even try to consume some of it. Wagner’s is one of America’s highly trusted brands so you are guaranteed that you get the real value of your money because a reputable manufacturer formulated this bird food.
Obviously, if you are capable of providing the right food for your feathered friends, then they won’t have any reason to leave your place.
15. Perky-Pet 238 Hummingbird Nectar
What to feed birds from the kitchen? This red liquid concentrate nectar is one of the top options that aid gets your most treasured hummingbirds’ feeder up and moving fast. In addition to this, your pet birds will certainly thank you for being their beneficial food source. Undeniably, hummingbird lovers could put their feet up and take pleasure in viewing lovely birds buzz about and eat at the feeder.
Take in mind that it is crucial to tidy the feeder at least two times per week, and clean it more often in very warm seasons. This product is cost-effective since it makes up to 1.25 gallons of nectar.
This is a nice nectar that could last throughout the summer and it can guarantee that hummingbirds will love consuming it.
16. Kaytee Products Inc. 10Lb Squirrel & Critter Blend Food
Are you currently looking for the best bird seed for Colorado, Houston, Alberta, Southern California, Central Florida, and Arizona? Then, you do not need to further your search. Kaytee Squirrel and Critter Blend will satisfy your requirements if you are searching for a combination of high-quality seeds and grains that are specially formulated to keep chipmunks, squirrels and other backyard critters away to your feeders.
This product is known for being a perfect alternative to aid these creatures isolated and stay away from your bird feeders.
You will find this item as the best cheap bird seed to purchase. It weighs 10 pounds and comes with a free shipping offer. It is loaded with peanuts corn that squirrels love. Additionally, the mix is great for some birds too and most critters will consume the sunflower seeds and other seed before the corn.
What is a Bird Seed/ Bird Food
Bird foods are a combination of nuts, grains, and seeds, etc. that are appropriate for various bird species to consume. Whilst most bird foods are fed to commercial domesticated birds, a lot of bird enthusiasts and bird feeders also utilize bird food to feed wild or pet birds.
The different kinds of bird food indicate the bird species that could be fed, whether they are nectar-consuming birds or carnivores. Whilst, it is a well-known method to feed wild birds from bird feeders, they could carry hidden hazards for the birds that feed there like malnutrition, disease as well as predation from other kinds of animals.
In fact, this is one of the main reasons why researchers highly suggest that bird feeders be cleaned and disinfected each time they are refilled.
There are different types of bird foods: natural and commercial bird foods.
The most highly recommendable seeds for use in bird feeders are black sunflower seeds. This is because such seeds easily lure a broad range of bird species; these seeds also come with a high percentage of meat to shell and are rich in fat contents.
Meanwhile, other typical bird seeds comprise of millet for juncos and sparrows, Nyjer or thistle seeds for goldfinches and safflower seeds for Cardinals.
Kitchen scraps like bread are commonly fed to gulls and ducks, artificial nectar sugar water that is specially formulated to lure and feed hummingbirds and suet is highly recommended for the insect-eating type of birds such as woodpeckers and nuthatches.
On the other hand, chickens are generally fed with barley, maize, sorghum, wheat, and milling-by products.
It is worth noting that these seeds and non-seeds bird foods are usually purchased as by-products on farms; however, they could be obtained from some independent retailers as well.
Such bird foods are provided with very detailed and scientifically formulated pre-blended type of feed.
It is essential to understand that commercial bird food is broadly available for feeding domesticated and wild birds- these consist of both pellets and seed combinations.
Types of Bird Seeds
Here are the best types of birdseeds to feed wild and pet birds:
- Sunflower. This is easy to find and is comparably cheaper. There are different kinds of sunflower seeds and these include black oil, striped and hulled sunflower.
- Black oil sunflower is the most renowned type of seed in the shell and this is the favorite of nearly all types of birds.
- Striped sunflower is bigger than black oil and is the same kind of sunflower seed that people eat. This is actually the reason why it is more costly than the black oil sunflower.
- Hulled sunflower pertains to sunflower seed that had its shell removed. It is also known as sunflower kernels or chips.
- Nyjer or thistle. This is goldfinches’ favorite bird food. These are described as small black seeds that commonly grow in India or Ethiopia. Prior to selling it, this seed is first sterilized through heat. However, it has the tendency to be easily spoiled and if the seed isn’t fresh, birds tend to refuse to consume it in the feeder.
Hence, it is a must to purchase these seeds from specialty bird food shops.
- Safflower. This seed is considered the most excellent bird food and it is even labeled as the miracle seed. It is labeled as such because nearly all irking pests at your feeders do not like it. Moreover, this is slightly tinier as compared to the black oil sunflower and comes with a hard shell.
The delighting news is that many backyard feathered friends do not have problems with consuming safflower and these include finches, chickadees, and Cardinals. Such seed is also useful in your feeders that are not squirrel-resistant.
- Peanuts. These are an ideal food to provide at your feeding area. Birds surely love consuming them and they are nutritious and are capable of providing a considerable amount of protein and fat which are valuable nutrients that birds need particularly in the coldest season of the year.
- White Proso Millet. This is the most preferred food among ground feeding birds. In general, it is not sold individually and is usually contained in several kinds of birdseed mixes. Indeed, there are various kinds of millet but the most excellent one is the white proso which is described as a tiny round seed.
This type of seed commonly lures doves, grackles, blackbirds, towhees, sparrows and juncos.
- Mealworms. These are specially formulated for bluebirds. Due to their high protein and fat content, providing mealworms to wild or pet birds is a special and healthy treat for various backyard feathered friends. There are two distinct methods of purchasing mealworms: live and dried.
Corn. When you buy corn at the shop, it is offered in two varied methods:
- Cracked corn. This is whole kernel corn that has been chopped to make it a lot easier for birds to consume. This is typically utilized in birdseed mixes since it is less costly. A lot of birds are unable to consume whole kernel corn since it is too big and most birds prefer cracked corns.
- Whole kernel corn. This is cheap to buy as compared with other kinds of bird foods and seeds. However, not many birds like and can consume whole kernel corn. Hence, this is restricted to larger types of birds like ducks, grackles, ravens, crows, and jays.
- Suet. This pertains to hard fat surrounding the loins and kidneys of sheep and beef. This type of bird food provides a great energy source for wild birds and is a good source of the required fats that are especially vital in the coldest period of the year.
- Sugar Water (Nectar). It matters to note that preparing a homemade solution of sugar water simulates nectar that various bird species can find in flowers. Fortunately, creating this type of solution is a piece of cake; all you need to do is to mix four parts of water with one part of table sugar.
This is a great approach to lure the most colorful and largest birds around.
- Fruits. These are healthy snacks for a lot of birds and are an effective technique to entice species that do not regularly land in your yard. You may consider using fresh fruits from your kitchen or jelly and dried fruits.
Benefits of Bird Seeds
It is quite vital to understand what can birds not eat and what kind of diet to provide them. Providing birds with nutrient-filled bird seeds and other bird foods will help them build blocks for feather production, develop a cheerful attitude and maintain healthy skin. In the same way, a natural, balanced and whole food helps birds have the energy they need to do their daily activities, ward off diseases and infections, boost their immune system and improve their overall wellness.
As you know, a good diet is critical to every bird’s health.
Best Bird Seed Brands
Would you like to know what the best bird seed brands are?
- Valley Splendor Black Oil Sunflower- this is the most outstanding birdseed for wild birds.
- Wagner’s Greatest Variety Mix – this is the top-rated seed mix for wild birds.
- Lyric Sunflower Kernels – these are highly recognized for being no-mess bird seeds for wild birds.
- Wagner’s Nyjer Seed – the most well-known bird seed brand that effectively lures finches.
- Kaytee Safflower Seed – the best bird seed brand that is specially formulated to entice Cardinals.
- Kaytee Mealworms – known for being the exceptional bird food to seduce bluebirds.
- Pine Tree Farms Peanut Butter Suet Cake – considered as the most top-drawer bird food that is capable of attracting woodpeckers.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Bird Seed
Before purchasing bird seeds or bird foods to feed wild or pet birds, it is a must to ponder on the following factors first:
- Budget. This is often the first consideration to be reflected on so that you won’t exceed while looking at the different options available.
- Store. Select the reliable and reputable bird food shop that many consumers trust in your area or on the web.
- Quality. See to it that you conduct the quality check on the bird seeds that you purchase. Never compromise the quality of the product under any circumstances.
- Ingredients. Carefully check the ingredients contained in the bird food product that you plan to purchase so you are well aware of what it is made of.
- Dates. Make sure to check the manufacturing date of the bird seed or bird food you are buying. Most importantly, check the expiration date on the package.
- Taste. Various types of birds prefer varied types of bird seeds or bird foods. So, ensure that you know what type of foods your pet or wild birds’ friends prefer.
- Odor. The scent of the bird food should be excellent enough to entice the birds that you hope to invite in your backyard.
- Health concerns. Make it a point that no hazardous preservatives or ingredients are utilized which could lead to various health issues such as allergies and the like.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make your own wild bird seed mix?
There are ample and varied forms of birdseed mixes. Less cheap mixes commonly contain high quantities of millet and milo and slight amounts of sunflower seeds, cracked corn, and other grains and seeds. Likewise, wheat is a well-known filler addition; nevertheless, it comes with little nutritional value for your feathered buddies.
These mixes could be helpful but birders might see high quantities of waste since birds usually seek out their most preferred seeds in the mix.
On the other hand, more costly birdseed mixes commonly have more renowned and desirable seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower hearts, sunflower seeds, nut hearts, and nuts. Take in mind that these types of mixes might even contain dried mealworms, dried fruit and other special treats for pet and wild birds.
Fundamentally, elaborate birdseed mixes are generally marketed as bird-specific; for instance, a finch mix or songbird mix relying on what seeds are contained in the mix.
How to avoid filler seed?
Consider purchasing or making seed mixes that do not come with more filler seeds such as wheat and milo that will be tossed aside by most bird species and might just end up as weed seeds in your yard if your bird feeder is situated over your lawn area.
How to make bird seed blocks?
For you to make your bird seed blocks, the following ingredients must be prepared:
- A big-enough bowl where you will mix all the ingredients
- At least 2 tbsp. of cold water
- a packet of unflavored gelatin
- at least two cups of bird seeds
- 1/3 cup of boiling water
A homemade birdseed block may consist of water, bird seeds and unflavored gelatin. After you have carefully mixed the suet recipe, you can now begin molding it into different forms in order to successfully hang it in your bird’s cage or position it outside for your visiting feathered buddies.
How to make balls?
You need to prepare the following ingredients for you to make balls:
- Beef suet or lard, vegetable and a bird seed mix.
The procedure as follows: combine one part of suet to at least two parts of seeds, then carefully transfer this to the bowl and make sure to heat the mixture gently. It is essential to stir the mixture gently till the fat completely melts. You may utilize ice cream scoop to make fat balls or another way of doing this is molding it into balls with the use of your hands.
Are birdseed ornaments safe?
Birdseed ornaments are safe for both birds and humans, particularly for the kids. For a fact, they are fun and easy to create and various bird species will surely love them. Such ornaments are adept at attracting a lot of birds to land, visit, eat and even stay for longer periods in your backyard, garden or lawn area.
Luckily, there are so many DIY instructions when making your own birdseed ornaments. Both old and young people will be delighted in designing their own ornaments.
What bird seed is the best for songbirds?
Songbirds tend to take pleasure in seeds that directly come from plants. As a matter of fact, it is highly recommended to plant shrubs and perennials of varying heights so to come up with a layering effect to satisfy the eating habits of different types of songbirds; some of them prefer feeding on the ground, meanwhile, others prefer feeding at greater heights.
Perennials, as well as annuals with noticeable seed heads, are the particularly appealing food source for songbirds. Instances of these include floss flowers, sunflowers, and spider flowers. On the other hand, perennials that lure songbirds comprise of bee balm, great and purple coneflowers, tickseed and globe thistle.
Do different birds like different bird seeds?
Different types of birds prefer different types of bird seeds too. For example, safflower is preferred by house finches, Northern Cardinal, and mourning doves. Black oil sunflower seeds are preferred by finches, Cardinals, and Nuthatches. Meanwhile, Nyjer or thistle is the favorite food of mourning doves, Purple Finches, and Gold Finches. Striped Sunflower is the choice of most woodpeckers, Cardinals and Blue Jays.
How to store your extra bird feed?
The proper way of storing your extra bird feed is by bringing it inside. Keep in mind that even though it is more comfortable to store big bags of bird seeds in an outdoor area, shed or in the garage, still, it is a lot easier for the seeds to lure the bugs that way. Therefore, it is a must to keep the seeds inside a dry and cool place.
Why have the birds stopped eating the seed I put out?
In reality, the reasons for this could be as discrete as there are birds. At times, it is because of the predators that show up. It is important to note that these bird predators could be owls, hawks, cats and other birds and animals.
It is critical to have a deeper grasp of bird behavior in terms of feeding as this shall assist you better understand why they have halted visiting your place. Note that various birds are in constant search of other food sources.
Interestingly, some of the birds that you watch at your feeder in the early mornings might not be the same birds that you come across in late afternoons.
What bird seed does not sprout?
There are probably varied reasons why bird seeds do not sprout. If there is a birdseed catcher to your feeder, this will catch the bird seed prior it hits the ground. Hence, hinging on the kind of catcher you get, at times, birds will even consume that. So, this wards off the sprouting of bird seeds.
Where is the best place to buy bird seed? (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon)
Fortunately, various brands of bird seeds are not difficult to find. You can search for them online or through local stores near you. Various reputable brands are also available and can be purchased on the web. A few of the legit and credible shopping sites where you can look for them include Amazon and eBay.
Meanwhile, if you opt for buying them in local stores, you can search in Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
If you wish and would like to try your luck, many bird seeds are also available in local supermarkets and bird shops.
Making the most out of your birdseed budget is valuable to every bird enthusiasts, bird watchers, and bird feeders. Thus, it is substantial to take into account that when you are feeding your most valued feathered friends, always prioritize the quality of the product that you are eyeing to purchase.
After all, your feathered buddies deserve to be fed with bird foods that won’t only satisfy their hunger but more importantly nourish their body and ensure their total wellness.
Be reminded that the more outstanding the blend of the bird feed you utilize for your pet birds or wild birds, the better your bird watching experience will be. Purchasing cheaper bird seed products could turn out to be the most costly approach to watching birds.
Note that poor quality bird foods will only result in a greater amount of unconsumed waste by your visiting feathered buddies.