The best squirrel baffle is a very practical tool that is designed to help safeguard your bird feeders from squirrel attack and looting. In addition, this helps in keeping troublesome squirrels from stealing your premium quality bird seed that should be solely intended for the birds. That being said, it only makes sense for you to learn more about the best products that can help you get rid of any potential issues related to squirrels and other kinds of rodents.
Bird feeders worldwide are well aware of the struggle of squirrels. Truth is, squirrels are very smart creatures that can come up with plans to irk you while trying to lure vast and diverse bird species. It is certainly disturbing when squirrels and other rodents get in your way of attracting different bird species precisely when you have given all your best to set up captivating bird feeders.
Since squirrels are quite clever at climbing poles with much ease, it is a must to set up a squirrel proof baffle underneath the feeder on the pole itself. If installed properly, this tool works exceptionally at hampering squirrels from getting inside birdhouses and from causing any harm to your nestling.
Let us uncover and review various devices that are especially intended to help bird feeders save themselves from stress linked with blocking squirrels and rodents:
- Best Squirrel Baffles Reviews
- 1. Woodlink NABAF18 Audubon Wrap Around Squirrel Baffle
- 3. AUDUBON NACLBAF16 Clear Squirrel Baffle
- 4. Woodlink Kay Home Products 14-Inch Wrap Around Squirrel Baffle
- 5. Perky-Pet 341 Metal Pole Squirrel Baffle
- 6. North States 2-Way Squirrel Baffle
- 7. Squirrel Guard Baffle Protects Hanging Bird Feeders & Poles
- 8. Stokes Select Squirrel-X Squirrel Baffle for Bird Feeders
- 9. Erva Post Mounted Squirrel Baffle
- 10. Woodlink Post Mount Squirrel Baffle Model BAF3GR
- 11. Perky-Pet 340 Transparent 16-Inch Squirrel Baffler
- 12. Woodlink Brushed Copper 18 Weather Shield
- What is a Squirrel Baffle
- How Does It Work
- Types of Squirrel Baffles
- Benefits of Squirrel Baffles
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Squirrel Baffle
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Squirrel Baffles Reviews
The reason why this tool is one of the top squirrel baffles is that it is resistant to raccoons and is quite easy to set up. However, it is a must to mount this tool at a height of 4 up to 5-feet above the ground. The effectiveness and maximum performance of this baffle will depend on proper installation procedures.
Please keep in mind that the correct placement of the pole as well as the feeder on the pole is something that you need to ensure.
2. Audubon Torpedo Steel Squirrel Baffle Model NATORPEDO
What makes this tool considered one of top rated squirrel baffles too is that it is designed with a pole clamp that perfectly fits. Its design makes it a tough job for squirrels to feast on the bird feeds because it can’t be moved easily and it’s hard to reach.
Not to mention, since it is quite adept at deterring squirrels it makes the birds feed lasts nearly a week – as a result, this helps you save more on bird feeds since there is no need to do the refill quite often- obviously, you can set aside some pennies if you have it.
I find this device highly recommendable for bird feeders who wish to save more on bird feeds and keep rodents and squirrels off the feeder. It is definitely good at allowing birdseed lasts much longer.
3. AUDUBON NACLBAF16 Clear Squirrel Baffle
This baffle is designed with a measurement of 16” diameter and is very functional especially for providing feeder protection. As I observed, when I try to slightly shorten the feeder hanger, it is capable of providing top-notch weather coverage. Likewise, it had the effect of expanding the distance the squirrels or rodents had to stretch to catch the feeder, so this results to efficiently putting the feeder out of reach.
In like manner, it isn’t easily moved by winds so bird feeds stay safe and you won’t have to worry about draining your feeders even when you stay out for a while. There are lots of reasons why this option is an ideal choice.
This Woodlink squirrel baffle is highly recommended to bird feeders who are often encountering serious squirrel and rodent problems. However, this device won’t work effectively if it is not properly installed with special consideration of its height from the ground which is strictly four to five feet. If otherwise, it will be a lot easier for rodents and squirrels to leap right up past and eat your bird feeds. Of course, you’ve got to give the mice and squirrels a hard time so they won’t even attempt to cause you some trouble when feeding.
This baffle is built well and is capable of keeping all kinds of critters from bird feeders. There is a possibility that rodents or squirrels could jump a considerable distance to get to it so it is essential that you aren’t too close to the table, fence, house or anything that squirrels can use to reach the feeds. If positioned properly and you were able to follow the recommended 4 to 5 feet high from the ground; then you won’t have to worry about anything when dealing with squirrels.
5. Perky-Pet 341 Metal Pole Squirrel Baffle
This baffle should be mounted underneath the feeder so as to hinder the rodents or squirrels from climbing. It is constructed in a sturdier manner since it is made of metal which means it could stand the test of harsh weather. It is designed with mounting hardware making it more effortless to set up even for beginners. As you can see, it looks very appealing for it is made with a garden green finish that perfectly fuses with nature.
I like this baffle for various reasons. First, it is quite easy to set up and it appears that it could accommodate several diverse size poles. You can just simply twist in the screws and make sure that they are fitted accordingly. Second, it is capable of making rodents or squirrels give up on attempting to reach bird feeders. Even if it is your first time to install a baffle, it won’t be burdensome for you so long as you strictly follow Audobon squirrel baffle instructions.
6. North States 2-Way Squirrel Baffle
This baffle is particularly constructed to safeguard birdfeeders from very stubborn rodents and squirrels. If you are going to observe closely, it is designed with a warm gray color so it could perfectly fuse with any backyard setting of the user. There is nothing to worry about when setting it up because it could be easily mounted or hanged on a pole. It is made with sturdy molded plastic and all the things that you require when installing it are already included in the package once purchased. Its free swinging inverted bowl design is quite appealing too.
While this baffle comes with a number of functions and features that are impressive, what makes it one of the best options is that it does a wonderful job shielding the bird feeders from harsh weather. It could even withstand bad weather conditions during winter. With a few modifications, it could surely function a lot well. Any bird droppings can be easily washed off with just a little rain.
7. Squirrel Guard Baffle Protects Hanging Bird Feeders & Poles
This baffle is specially made to secure and protect bird feeders as well as birdhouses from being disturbed or harmed by rodents, raccoons, and squirrels. Once purchased, all the mounting hardware is already included. This works to provide maximum protection for the hanging or pole mounted bird feeders.
You don’t need to worry about rust even for longer periods of time and frequent usage because it is manufactured with solid galvanized steel. As you can see, many baffles out there tend to rust easily even just for a few months.
I think one of the reasons why many bird feeders choose this brand is that it can be instantly fastened to your current hanging or pole mounted bird feeder. This implies that it is no longer necessary to detach the bird feeder since you only need to wrap it around. Additionally, all the accessories needed for mounting are ready for use. You only need to follow the instructions on how to do so for all of these are already contained in the package.
8. Stokes Select Squirrel-X Squirrel Baffle for Bird Feeders
This baffle is preferable because it comes with good size. It appears to require a lengthier reach, and maybe my bigger mutant rodents, raccoons or squirrels won’t be able to reach up and catch the lip of the feeder and munch on the bird feeds. Take in mind that it matters to place your feeder away from upper platforms where they could jump from.
Investing in metal squirrel baffle gives you the chance to have a share of every purchase contributed to a bird conservation and bird habitat. Who wouldn’t prefer to be of help to such cause?
I really like the color very much because it certainly blends with the feeder. Even if you’re not expert yet when setting up baffles, there is no reason for you to feel troubled because this is certified easy to set up and cleaning is not a serious problem for you to deal with.
9. Erva Post Mounted Squirrel Baffle
This squirrel baffle has significantly helped me impede rodents and squirrels from getting in my feeders. When setting it up, I have it carefully mounted on a vertical position on a horizontal wire and I made sure that it is at least five feet atop the ground. It is entertaining to watch rodents and squirrels have a hard time trying to reach the feeder but to no avail.
It is a good choice since squirrels could not walk the wire surrounding it so long as they couldn’t jump past the squirrel baffle. Now my birds need not be frightened of being attacked by these annoying predators. So long as this baffle is positioned and set up properly, there will be no way for rodents and squirrels to damage your bird feeds.
This baffle is probably one of the most outstanding baffles I have ever seen. It is heavy duty and it works quite effectively in terms of scaring rodents, squirrels, and raccoons away. It could fit perfectly on a 4×4 pole and since it is designed with split-construction, you won’t have any trouble slipping it onto the pole.
Once purchased, there are 3 tabs screws that are ready for you to use. Just double check if all the stated inclusions once the product is purchased are all included in the package. This is for you not to have a hard time setting up once you have reached the place where you plan to install your baffle.
11. Perky-Pet 340 Transparent 16-Inch Squirrel Baffler
This squirrel baffle is made with a measurement of 16” diameter and its shape is a curved dome. This is so to make rodents and squirrels have big troubles getting around the baffle. It is a good way to deter squirrels from disturbing your birds while they’re eating. Since your bird feeds are safe, you can save more money as it is not necessary to buy seeds every now and them.
You also don’t need to consume more time refilling seeds and cleaning up. I like this design because it fosters a more effective approach to feed wild birds and this baffle can also be utilized with any bird feeder.
It is critical to lower this baffle over the top of the post and carefully screw it into place- this is the proper way of pole mounting it. Approximately 1 foot underneath the feeder functions best.
Luckily, all the things needed for either pole mounting or hanging comes included once purchased- 3 screws, 1 baffle hub, a clear shield that measures 16” in diameter and 2 hooks. Make sure that all these materials are placed inside the package before you set out.
If you are looking for a reliable baffle to block rodents and squirrels from eating out your bird feeds, then this brand is a great choice for you to consider. It is manufactured with metal that comes with an appealing brushed copper color finish. It is particularly constructed to shield your feeders from annoying elements and other harsh weather conditions that may harm your bird feeds. See to it that it is set up at least 10-ft. from various objects or tree trunk.
What is more, it is great for safeguarding nectar feeders from the direct heat of the sun. It comes with a design and color that is identical with tree leaves making it more impressive and tricky to rodents and squirrels. The weather protector of this baffle aid in keeping the rain from damaging your feeds and at the same time it serves as a lovely décor to your garden which is roomy enough to block rodents and squirrels.
What is a Squirrel Baffle
This is a device that is specially constructed to block small mammals, squirrels, and raccoons from having easy access to bird feeders to consume bird seeds. These are generally mounted on a bird feeder pole and it is necessary to ensure that they are installed at a height to which predators couldn’t jump.
Baffles differ in design. There are those that come with a rotating cylinder which is meant to minimize the climbing surface. On the other hand, other features include a big round tube that makes it hard for a rodent or squirrel to catch. Other designs include those made with sloped disks and tapered cones.
Squirrel baffles are made of plastic or painted metal.
How Does It Work
It is worth noting that the topmost factor to consider when setting up a squirrel baffle is its position and height. It is recommendable to at least install it 5 feet atop the ground and away from shrubs, bushes, trees, etc.
The hanging bird feeder roof can also be designed in order to serve as a blocker to impede rodents or squirrels from jumping onto the bird feeder. They are commonly designed to shield bird feeders from even the most stubborn mammals, rodents and squirrels.
Baffles also help keep bird seeds stay in place. It protects them from inclement weather conditions like strong winds, rain and during winter. In like manner, they are adept at deterring various kinds of mammals from consuming the seeds that you prepared for your birds to eat.
With the right squirrel baffle, there is no reason for you to worry about having your bird seeds eaten by annoying predators. You can save more money since the seeds do not need to be refilled quite often and the cleaning process is not that laborious since there’s not much dropping.
Types of Squirrel Baffles
Squirrel baffles are mainly utilized to deter predators such as tiny mammals, raccoons, rodents and squirrels from getting to the bird seed in your feeders. Basically, baffles are either dome or cone-shaped.
Further, they are manufactured with diverse materials and the most popular material used when designing them is plastic. Squirrel baffles are deemed as an ideal complement to other squirrel blocking techniques.
Here are the different types of squirrel baffles:
- Dome-Shaped Squirrel Baffles
These generally come with transparent design and rounded shapes. They can be utilized on a pole mounted or hanging bird feeders.
Rodents, raccoons or squirrels won’t be able to have easy access to the bird feeder at all since when they land on the baffle, the device will tilt and they instantly decline. This device also deters predators from attempting to damage the feeder through chewing on it to attempt and get to the bird seeds.
- Cone-Shaped Squirrel Baffles
These are somewhat identical to an upside-down funnel shape, it is usually positioned on a pole mounted or hanging bird feeders.
- Platform Style Squirrel Baffles
These are commonly not highly recommendable due to their flat shapes. As you know, rodents, raccoons, and squirrels have more possibilities of sticking to this kind of squirrel baffle.
- Pole Style Squirrel Baffles
These types of baffles are an exceptional alternative when it comes to deterring rodents, squirrels, and raccoons from obtaining easy access to the feeders. Moreover, the guard fits over the pole, deterring the predator from climbing up.
It is essential to ensure that you gauge your pole first in order to check if this will function effectively. A few tinier diameter poles won’t function with this kind of baffle.
- Built-in Squirrel Baffles
There are bird feeders that are particularly designed with a built-in baffle. These are highly recommended for bigger capacity bird feeders since they come with very convenient specifications.
Benefits of Squirrel Baffles
For most bird feeders, it is certainly very distressing to see raccoons, rodents, and squirrels feasting on your bird feeds. Truth is, you can’t do without a reliable squirrel baffle if you are looking after birds and would like to ensure that they are fed well.
For this reason, it is a must for you to carefully inspect the type of squirrel baffle that you are planning to buy. Once you made the right choice, you can surely take joy in the considerable number of favors of owning a squirrel baffle.
There are a number of benefits that you can enjoy when using squirrel baffles and these include the following:
- Squirrel baffles shield the bird feeders against different types of bothering pests and mammals.
- They could serve as appealing designs or décor in your garden or backyard.
- They can function as an efficient weather shield.
- They are quite easy to install: there are two simple methods to set them up and these consist of a pole mount and a hanging one.
- Most of them are designed with transparent materials so you can delight in a better view.
- They are made with sturdy materials so they could provide better resistance.
- They are adept at confusing various types of mammals and predators so they leave immediately without harming your bird seeds.
- Since baffles block raccoons, squirrels, and rodents from consuming your bird feeds, you can save more money on feeds and you do not need to refill them more often.
- Your birds will surely be the ones feasting on the seeds and not the irking predators that only create a huge mess.
- Watching rodents, raccoons, and squirrels as they attempt to get into the feeder can serve as a stress-reliever activity because it is absolutely entertaining to watch these sly creatures as they try all possible tactics to consume the bird seeds but to no avail.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Squirrel Baffle
Squirrel baffles are typically straightforward types of devices without regard to any specific problems with regards to their installation and usage. Nonetheless, there are varied versions available and the ones that come with slight variations are at times vital when coming up with a decision about which type is the most appropriate for your requirements.
Not to mention, you do not just simply pick the squirrel baffle model of your choice just like that – take in mind that there are indispensable considerations for you to contemplate on.
Here are the factors you need to ensure when purchasing a squirrel baffle:
- The size of the pole. Be reminded that not all poles have identical diameters. This is the reason why it is essential to know which squirrel baffle model is appropriate for a pole.
- Materials. There are some versions that are made of plastic and those coated with steel construction. Plastic ones could blend easily since they are clear but many a time birds might fly into them. Meanwhile, the steel models are more durable and they could survive increment weather conditions.
- Mammal compatibility. This conveys if the squirrel baffle is fit for other types of pests or just for squirrels. This highly relies on which ones are the most usual that you might have trouble using with.
- Selling price. Of course, your budget will decide what type of baffle you will buy. Note that the most costly ones do not necessarily imply that they are the best ones. What matters is that you carefully inspect the baffle model and then decide if this fits your needs well.
- Mount or hang. This hinges on the kind of feeder you own. Essentially, there are no particular distinctions which one is more efficient. It is substantial to follow the instructions cautiously and utilize the product properly because once it is correctly set up; you can certainly get the most of it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make a squirrel baffle?
- First, you’ve got to prepare all the materials needed in making a squirrel baffle. Then, drill the hole. Clamp the end cap fixedly with the aid of pliers or vise. Drill a hole in the middle of the end cap and then cut the required shape.
- Make sure to fit the end cap. To do so, you need to hook the stove pipe together. This must fit well within the end cap.
- Drill pilot holes through the end cap’s sides. The holes must go through the stovepipe and the end cap.
- Fasten the screws. Ensure that the sheet metal screws are tightened and capable of holding the stove pipe and end cap together.
- Carefully slip the squirrel baffle over the pole. The above portion of the baffle must be about 4 by up to 5 feet atop the ground.
- Use a screwdriver to fasten the hose clamp to the feeder post at your mark.
- Lastly, set up the baffle by slipping it back down in order for it to rest on the hose clamp.
Where should squirrel baffles be installed?
By far, squirrel baffles are generally set up nearby bird feeders. It is worth mentioning that if rodents, raccoons, and squirrels are getting into your backyard, garden or house, there aren’t any squirrel baffles available to deter them from those locations. They should at least be 4 by up to 5 feet atop on the ground when installed.
How to install a torpedo squirrel baffle?
It is imperative to gauge the dimension of the curve on the hook to be certain. Likewise, this can be set up easily through installing it on the poles with the aid of an adjustable coupler. This aids in securing the device with approximately 0.5 inches to a 1.36-inch pole.
How to install a wrap around squirrel baffle?
This baffle is quite easy to install since it does not require the bird feeder to be removed when mounting it. All you need to do is to secure the black coupler approximately any 1/2-inch to 1-3/8-inch shepherd hook or pole. Note that it snaps part with the aid of inward pressure on very sides of the seam.
Where to buy a squirrel baffle?
You can buy squirrel baffles at Amazon, eBay, and Walmart. You may also search for other online stores where you can avail them. They might also be available in local stores in your area so you can check them out too.
How to get rid of squirrels or squirrel-proof your feeder?
- Make sure that your baffle is set up high enough that the predators find it so impossible to jump past it.
- Install a tiny squirrel feeding area that is placed far away from your bird feeders. Although this may entail sacrificing a few birds on an occasional basis, this must keep the predators occupied and allow the birds to feed without any disturbance.
- Slip the bird feeder onto a lengthy wire and properly hang this in between two trees. Make sure that this is far away from very low branches of trees.
Most bird feeders understand how irking it could be to consistently struggle with raccoons, squirrels, and rodents who are attempting to grab the bird feeds from the bird feeders. Although a part of us experience feelings of uneasiness for hungry mammals whenever we try to deter them, it cannot be denied that refilling the seeds quite often is physically draining and hurts your pocket as well.
So, in order to block these predators from draining your bird feeders and to ensure that your birds are satisfied with their feeds, it is a wise decision to purchase the best squirrel baffle that could keep rodents, squirrels, and raccoons away. Luckily, there are various models available nowadays and you can freely choose the one which you think perfectly matches your preferences and requirements. Check out the guides shared above so you can come up with the right choice for you.