When winter season comes, the day-to-day ritual of feeding our birds heats up and it becomes even more important to be very watchful of our feeders. Truth is, there are indispensable factors that we need to pay attention to.
Winter season is undoubtedly a delicate period for birds and this is the reason why it is best to look for the best bird bath heater to serve as our companion in looking after them. As we know, this device is capable of regulating the temperature of the birdbath to ensure that it remains controlled, no matter what the season is.
Fortunately, there are various collections of this device that come with diverse options for us to consider particularly in terms of style as well as wattage. It is delighting to know that each device that is available and sold online and on the market is flexible, risk-free to use, and is specially designed to fit smoothly with our other birdbath accessories and garments.
To boot, it is very crucial to be well-informed first prior we come up with any purchasing decision so that we can buy with confidence and make sure that we get the real value of our hard-earned money!
- Best Heated Bird Baths Reviews 2019
- 1. Farm Innovators 3-In-1 Heated Birdbath
- 2. Mounted Heated Bird Bath
- 3. Heated Bird Bath Bowl
- 4. Allied Precision Industries Heated Bird Bath
- 5. Songbird Essentials Heated Birdbath
- 6. Farm Innovators All Seasons Decorative Heated Birdbath
- 7. Heated Birdbath on Pedestal
- 8. Ice Eliminator Birdbath De-icer
- 9. Allied Precision Bird Bath De-Icer
- 10. Farm Innovators Economical Birdbath De-Icer
- What is a Heated Bird Bath/ How Does It Work
- Types of Heated Bird Baths
- Benefits of Heated Bird Baths
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Heated Bird Bath
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Heated Bird Baths Reviews 2019
1. Farm Innovators 3-In-1 Heated Birdbath
This device automatically shuts off when the air temperature is warmer. On the other hand, when the air temperature drops to nearly freezing degrees, it converts the heating element on till the water is sustained at a temperature just above freezing degrees. Cleaning it up is effortless, you only need to empty the pan, use some disinfectant, rinse thoroughly and then wipe it with paper towels and from there you can do the refilling process.
It is important to empty it and see to it that you unplug it if you plan to be going somewhere for days. In the same way, it is essential not to let this bird bath heater run dry in cold seasons. This product requires an extension cord although this wasn’t clearly stated in the product’s description.
Indeed, as to this bird bath’s shallowness, you could observe that the birds prefer the depth and aren’t scared of it. It is good because there is no issue in terms of keeping it filled since it can be positioned in a spot where you pass several times in a day and could refill it as necessary.
As one of the heated birdbath reviews for you to check out, you will be delighted to observe plenty of jays, mockingbirds, and cardinals that drop by for a quick splash or stop by to sip – it is undeniably a stress-relieving way to watch up close.
2. Mounted Heated Bird Bath
This product is primarily tied up by a rectangular bracket that is securely held in place through 2 screws that press in on the bracket’s side. The bracket’s side tends to slide which means that it could be utilized above a 2×6 or 2×4 wood railing. Note that the 2 screws do not twist in the wood so you only need to clamp the bracket on the wood’s sides. You won’t have a hard time installing and removing this bird bath.
This heated bath water is not temperate to touch; nevertheless, it is engineered to keep the water above freezing degrees. It is easy to indicate that it is functioning when on several freezing mornings steam could be observed emerging above the bath water.
This device is quite functional since it is not just useful during cold seasons. During the summer season, this could be utilized as a regular bird bath provided that you unplug it.
It is worth mentioning that this device’s cord to the bowl is narrow, as a result, it is important for you to be cautious when running the extension cord to the bowl. It is highly recommended to wrap the connections using electrical tape. Alternatively, it is safer to have this linked with a GFCI outlet that comes with a sealed enclosure.
3. Heated Bird Bath Bowl
This winter birdbath is quite functional since it guarantees that water will remain ice-free despite below freezing degrees temperature. For sure, birds will love the excellent traction, edge and its fascinating shape.
This can be installed in a 12″ x 12″ concrete brick on the ground so critters could also get to it. Interestingly, it is capable of holding more water than it actually appears it would. It is a great purchase since it can help birds have instant access to water and warm their feet on coldest seasons.
Furthermore, it is easy to set up on a deck railing. It looks very solid and you will be definitely impressed that it comes with various installations alternatives that you can try. No worries to clamp it on.
What to love most about this device is that it is well-built. It could withstand being heated in winter seasons and resist sun in summer seasons. It is designed with adequate depth and instant access that enable birds to not just have access to drinking water but also delight in a warm bath.
4. Allied Precision Industries Heated Bird Bath
This heated bird bath with stand comes with a 150 watts power and it is thermostat regulated. Its bowl comes with a depth of 20 inches by 2 inches. This device’s rim is precisely engineered to be instantly gripped by a bird’s claws that surely make it a natural branch, hence; this encourages various creatures to take some visits. It is designed with a durable metal stand.
This is something to love because this heated bath enables you to take pleasure in observing backyard songbirds to hum all year round. Since it is designed with a built-in thermostat and a power of 150 watts, this inhibits their watering reservoir from becoming a skating basin, even during extreme winter periods.
This product’s heating element keeps the water temperature between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit automatically. In like manner, it is designed with a bowl that is appealing enough to lure birds and other small creatures to take a visit. This is also crack-proof even in freezing degrees. It is made with durable materials so it could last for many years of use.
Since it is backed up by a 3-year warranty offer, you’ve got nothing to lose if you will consider this birdbath model. This implies that you can settle some issues you encountered with the manufacturer if your expectations aren’t met.
5. Songbird Essentials Heated Birdbath
This warm bird bath is easy to assemble and set up even on the coldest season of the year. As a matter of fact, it is known for having the capability to allow water to stay totally ice-free without getting warm. Even on extreme cold weather conditions, there is nothing for you to worry about rapid water evaporation which means there is no need for frequent refilling.
While it is true that it is easy to install, still it requires an automatic screwdriver that could drive the screws tightly into the wood post. It is worth noting that the bath support, as well as the legs, are pre-drilled; however, there are no analogous holes that are pre-drilled in the post.
This bird bath’s wood functions well with the rest of the deck and the cedar provide a good and spacious branch for many birds. Likewise, its appearance can instantly attract bluebirds and robins that are searching for a source of water to drink and bathe in to keep themselves warm on the coldest season.
2 long lawn stakes and all necessary hardware are included in the package once purchased. This product can be positioned on a deck and it is quite durable that you won’t have to worry of it being held down by anything. It is also nice to observe the heated bowl to work effectively as advertised.
6. Farm Innovators All Seasons Decorative Heated Birdbath
Regarded as one of the top-drawer granite bird baths, this device is regulated by a thermostat all year round – this conveys that it does not function well on winter alone but also on all other seasons in a year. It is a worthy investment since it is designed with compression molded scallop that aims to guarantee longevity, stability, and sturdiness- this is also identical with concrete bird baths when it comes to appearance.
Moreover, it is reliable to use and durable enough to survive even the coldest period of the year. It also comes with a 3-year warranty offer so you can contact the manufacturer and voice out your concerns in case you are dissatisfied with the product.
This bird bath’s dish is shallow enough to enable even the tiniest birds to bathe in together with doves and robins. It could even hold roughly one gallon of water. It is surprising that it could keep the water more temperate than it needs to be.
7. Heated Birdbath on Pedestal
This is one of the solar powered bird baths that works just fine. Water evaporates after a few days. You won’t have problems cleaning it regularly. There are times when the bowl does not fill straight and the one side generally contains more water no matter how you try to fix this concern, it still overflows till it becomes hard freeze and the rim on the lower side remains warm where birds mainly land.
It is critical to have this model properly managed to get it set up accordingly and leveled. And, for you to do so, it is essential that it is firmly set above a leveled paving stone. The fact is, it does not have any single issue with its heater since it performs exceptionally and it is quite good at keeping the ice away.
However, even when you completed the setup, it does not appear to be quite solid. It requires re-leveling the bowl a number of times, but it appears that each time a squirrel leaps on the edge, the bowl tilts easily.
8. Ice Eliminator Birdbath De-icer
This comes with a very out-of-the-ordinary design and is well-known for its capability to consume low energy. It is no wonder why it is regarded as one of the best sellers for a heated bird bath for a deck. In addition, it comes with solid aluminum housing that aid keeps the unit from coming off the bird bath. Its impressive rock-like appearance naturally matches well with any birdbath.
If you prefer, you may spray paint any color to blend any bird bath. What’s more to love about this product is that it does not rust, calcify or leave stains. It won’t melt plastic or it won’t burn. It is backed up by a 3-year warranty offer.
This bird bath’s heater works outstandingly. It is adept at leaving some open water on extremely chilly mornings. However, the power cord of this product is narrow so it needs an extension cord to support it. For that, it is highly advised to get a cord cover to help keep water from getting into the connection.
Once this is properly set up in your place, you can start enjoying watching birds and other lovely creatures feast on fresh water!
9. Allied Precision Bird Bath De-Icer
This bird bath heater is a winner because it turns on in an automatic mode when the temperature of water approaches to freezing degrees. In the same way, it turns off at a period when it is several degrees over freezing degrees again. I think this is recommendable for utilizing power only when necessary and it helps keep the temperature of the birdbath low enough that it does not promote bird bathing when it is freezing for these creatures to do so.
The cleaning process isn’t burdensome since it only requires being soaked for a few minutes with the aid of white vinegar. Using this product does not come with a number of issues to deal with. It still keeps working even when the bird bath has been dry.
It is essential for users to utilize a spring clamp on the cord linked to the bowl of the birdbath in order to make it more secured. This is highly recommended to regions with severe winter season since it could still be functional even when the weather gets too snowy and too cold.
If you’re searching for a birdbath heater that is guaranteed to have the capability to meet any weather condition and is cost-effective to operate, then this is the right option for you.
10. Farm Innovators Economical Birdbath De-Icer
This all seasons heated birdbath product functions well for your needs. It is easy to install. It helps to put pea gravel on the bottom of the basin in order to make your bath shallower and be able to provide easier footing for the tiny birds and varieties of creatures that you wish to provide a source of fresh water to.
Surprisingly, this works well in terms of submerging the heater and afterward line it with gravel along the edges so as to guarantee that it stays underwater. While you will have slight freezes, you will see that the water often remains as a liquid. Truth is, it is more impressive and capable of luring birds and other tiny creatures to land than a feeder filled with sunflower seeds.
It is certainly relaxing to watch varieties of birds and other tiny animals making a show, incessantly coming for a drink and bathing in the water. What is more, you’ll absolutely love viewing mourning doves taking pleasure in a source of water that they especially require on a daily basis.
You need to ensure that you keep the water level up in order for the birds to be able to reach the water that evaporates immediately in severely cold weather conditions.
What is a Heated Bird Bath/ How Does It Work
If you have the goal of luring more birds to your backyard or garden in the winter season, then investing in a heated bird bath is a vital factor to consider. Even during the coldest season of the year, wildlife prefers to slurp cool water rather than munching on snow to sip liquids. Likewise, birds also need to bathe so long as the temperature exceeds zero degrees. It cannot be denied that this device is a foolproof way to entice wildlife, particularly the colorful songbirds.
Having a heated birdbath is quite necessary particularly if you wish to provide birds with dependable water supply during the winter season, extreme cold weather conditions and when you don’t feel delighted consistently having to execute it on a manual approach through breaking the ice and afterward deliver cool water every few hours.
In addition, unlike other devices, it is difficult to really say if the heated bird bath is the best one for you because you can only say so depending on your personal needs, your current preferences and available space at home. If your choice was able to satisfy all those needs and preferences of yours, then perhaps it can be recognized as the best.
Evidently, having birds around is valuable to most gardeners. Nevertheless, you do not prefer just transient birds. Of course, you want those that could stay. What a heated bird bath actually does is providing all year round environment where tiny creatures such as birds will be able to find cool water that they especially require in coldest seasons.
Types of Heated Bird Baths
Apart from being an additional ornament to your backyard, lawn or garden, bird baths serve a very vital role in that these are sources of water for drinking and bathing for varieties of birds and other tiny creatures. Essentially, they are also considered as one of the easiest means to entice birds to one’s yard.
There are various types of heated bird baths and these include the following:
- Heated Ground Bird Bath
If you are very much concerned about functionality, then this is the right choice for you. As we know, birds find it very comfortable to drink and bathe from the ground since this is how they execute these activities in their natural environment.
A heated ground bird bath can be easily moved around your garden and is easy to clean up. It is capable of keeping open water even on the chilliest evenings and is a great source of water to different animals.
- Deck Mounted Heated Bird Bath
This type provides incredible views of birds and other lovely creatures drinking and bathing on the coldest seasons. Since it is attached to your deck, this is usually close to your dwelling place.
It is commonly made with plastic so even when it falls or freezes, there are fewer chances of being shattered. It is uncomplicated to tip to the side when you’re emptying old water.
This usually comes with a built-in thermostat and its power cord could be stocked below the basin and out of sight during the summer seasons.
- Freestanding Heated Bird Baths
These are one of the most well-known types as this is what most people buy for their garden. This generally comes with a bowl for the water that is balanced above the pedestal. This is what makes the water at a risk-free distance from the ground.
Varieties of birds and tiny animals feel comfortable coming to the bath as they are not periled by predators.
Being the most famous type of bird bath model, there are lots of them in online and local stores and they come in different colors, designs, styles as well as shapes. In general, they are heavy since they are mostly constructed with solid materials like cast iron or concrete.
- Hanging Bird Baths
These are typically quite shallow and are hanging from above either from a gutter, a tree branch or in a shepherd’s hook in your garden through the aid of a few lengths of chain. They aren’t capable of holding a large amount of water and they require being refilled regularly. They are cheaper as compared to other types.
They can be hanged wherever you prefer them to be- where you can easily watch birds drinking and bathing. They come in appealing design and are very functional.
Benefits of Heated Bird Baths
There are plenty of perks that you can enjoy if you invest in a heated birdbath and these may comprise of the following:
- Since a bird bath is effective at attracting wild birds and it is a great source of water for slurping and bathing. This won’t only entice birds to land but also stay in your yard. So, you won’t only enjoy watching transient birds in winter season but have them all year round.
- When water freezes, it expands. So, if your birdbath is not heated and it is filled with water it is more likely to crack when ice forms. Evidently, a heated birdbath can cast out this danger. Your birdbath is protected when heated.
- There is no need to feel anxious about winterizing your birdbath if it is already heated. All you need to do is to plug the bath into a safe outlet and you’re finished. You can just let it operating all winter and then just unplug it when warmer periods set in.
- There is no need to disassemble it when not in use. If you have one, you will enjoy catching sight of varieties of birds all year round. The cost to operate this is less expensive.
- Birds and other tiny creatures will be grateful to you for providing them with cool water to drink and warm water to bathe in. Since you provide them with a natural environment where they can live comfortably, in return, you will feel elated seeing them humming and playing in your yard.
As you can see, this will be a great source of entertainment for you whenever you feel bored and need to relax after a long and tiring day.
- Heated birdbaths are wonderful decors and ornaments that can make your backyard, lawn, and garden even more attractive and a good place where to unwind.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Heated Bird Bath
Before you come up with a final decision about purchasing a heated birdbath, mull over the following considerations first:
- What heated birdbath style are you looking for? There are varied styles for you to pick from. And, from the most part, picking the one that is best fitted for your garden comes down to your personal taste and the location where you plan to put your birdbath.
- How stylish do you prefer your birdbath to look in your garden? Almost all birdbaths are very adept at enticing birds but are commonly simple looking. Meanwhile, a lot of birdbaths are made to be more of a backyard décor, either with fancy fountains, impressive colors or fancy glass.
- What kind of materials it is made from? As you know, the construction material is very important to consider since this makes a huge distinction on how the birdbath looks. They are typically made of varied construction materials like ceramic, concrete, glass, plastic and metal.
- The kind of material you choose must come down to your price and aesthetic preferences. Note that there are going to be distinct levels of design and quality among those heated birdbaths regardless of the material you choose.
- Since birds prefer to pick the water depth when they take a bath, the design of the bowl is important to inspect as well. Consider varieties of bird species that will drink and bathe in the basin.
- Is the basin quite easy to tidy up? Choose the one that is not difficult to maintain to avoid consuming more time in cleaning up.
- Lastly, the most important factor is the price of the heated birdbath that you are eyeing to buy. Generally, the more you spend, the higher the quality of the heated birdbath to expect.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bird bath heater?
A birdbath heater is also known as a de-icer. It serves a valuable role in that it aids in regulating the temperature of the birdbath to ensure that it remains cooler even on the coldest season of the year.
Besides, it helps you sustain an ice-free birdbath to lure more wild birds and effectively invite them to keep returning even when it is freezing periods.
Are heated bird baths safe and necessary?
A heated birdbath can be an outstanding source of water, however; this could also be perilous and even fatal to birds primarily if it not utilized, cleaned and maintained accordingly.
If your birdbath is not cleaned regularly, it could also be a source of various diseases. Water that is contaminated with rotting debris, feces and mold can become a rearing spot for fatal bacteria that could spread various diseases to any bird or creatures that drink and bathe in the contaminated birdbath.
Furthermore, predators may also reside and wait at watering holes to chase birds and birdbaths can be a spot for them too. So, there is a possibility that predators may attack birds slurping and bathing in a birdbath anytime.
Birdbaths that are treated with toxic and inappropriate chemicals such as insecticide, herbicide, and pesticides could poison varieties of birds. So, as much as possible, avoid using these chemicals when cleaning the birdbath.
Birdbaths that come with a very deep basin may also cause small birds to drown. A very deep birdbath may be dangerous and uncomfortable too.
Hence, it is crucial for you to be cautious when using, cleaning and maintaining your birdbath. While it is true that they are advantageous, they could also be a source of danger if not used, cleaned and maintained properly.
What about a solar heated bird bath?
This type of heated birdbath is a great option for those who wish to save more money and use something that is environment-friendly and does not rely on electricity to operate.
These are good at helping in conserving electricity which does a very favorable effect on the environment and it is not costly and is capable of providing clean water that can impress more birds to land, slurp and bathe.
What are good heated birdbath brands?
There are a considerable number of reliable and durable heated birdbath brands and a few of the most recommended ones consist of the following:
- Round Concrete Birdbath. Enhanced design complements your outdoor space and backyard. This is an ideal option for your patio or lawn area. Varieties of birds really love this brand.
- Sunnydaze Beveled Flower Birdbath Water Fountain. This is certified easy to use and comes with sturdy construction materials.
- Solar Chatsworth Two-Tier Birdbath. This brand is very functional, comes with good design and is highly appreciated for being equipped with a replaceable and rechargeable solar battery pack.
- Gardman Pedestal Bird Bath. It is made of weather-resistant resin as well as durable frost. It’s easy to assemble and is very functional.
How much does it cost to use a heated bird bath/ bird bath heater?
There are several variables that make it intricate to give a definitive response to this question. In reality, the cost of using a heated birdbath will largely hinge on the temperature that actually differs hugely over the coldest period of the year and whether the birdbath is in the sun.
Anyway, you can reduce the cost if you’re going to opt for those models which are energy-efficient or the ones that are powered by solar energy.
How to use a heated bird bath?
Here are the things you need to do to properly use a heated bird bath:
- Review and follow carefully all the instructions prior use.
- Put the heated bath in a bright spot where solar radiation could aid the heater to function more effectively without consuming much electricity.
- Always keep the basin appropriately filled with clean water. Always inspect for splashing and evaporation as this could instantly drain water.
- Add something heavy or concrete in the basin so that birds won’t be tempted to bathe in when it is freezing cold.
- Make it a habit to clean the birdbath on a regular basis to prevent any hazards to the birds and other tiny animals that drink and bathe on it. You may use white vinegar when cleaning it. Avoid the use of harmful chemicals as much as possible.
- Shield the outdoor electrical outlet with a suitable cover so that liquid could not penetrate in the outlet and avoid a short circuit.
- When connecting a heating element or a heated bird bath, be reminded to use outdoor extension cords only. You can add several layers of plastic wrap or electrical tape over the connection as this could aid avert liquid from short-circuiting the cord.
- Clear up the bird bath’s edge after severe snowfall in order to provide birds a spot where they could sit atop of and reach the surface of the water. As you know, the snow could be touch into the water to refill the basin as it evaporates.
Where to buy heated bird baths?
You may purchase heated bird baths at Walmart, eBay, home depot, Lowe’s or Amazon. You may look for them in other legit and trusted online stores as well. While they could be a bit difficult to find in offline stores, still there are a few local shops where you could possibly avail them.
Interestingly, you can buy a few in antique shops or garage shops in your area. However, you need thoroughly inspect that they are still in good quality and can function at the maximum level.
Right to it, the best heated birdbath is quite reliable at luring varieties of winter birds that won’t only be your transient visitors. Through providing them with sufficient water supply where they can instantly and freely drink and bathe whenever they feel like it, you can ensure that these lovely and relaxing creatures will choose to stay for a long period of time.
It is worth mentioning that through utilizing a heated bird bath accordingly; it is a piece of cake to supply wild birds with adequate water for slurping, preening and bathing all winter long. So, this only proves to say how valuable it is for you to carefully contemplate on the valuable factors prior to investing in a particular heated birdbath brand.